The Halbe Forest Cemetery is one of the largest war grave sites in Germany. 28,000 people are buried here, most of whom were victims of the battle of Halbe in 1945. A newly made path takes visitors from the Hauptstrasse to the right, past the town cemetery, to a number of glass-fronted panels telling the story of the slaughter. Behind them lies the official entrance to the Forest Cemetery. The grave stones are spread out between the trees. An information building has been built in the back part of the memorial site. It also provides audio guides for a contact-free guided tour of the site. The cemetery is freely accessible and entry is free of charge. However, please note the opening hours.
The site, which is a listed monument, was planned by the Potsdam landscape architects Walter Funke and Hermann Göritz. Planting with junipers, wild roses, heather, broom and rhododendrons was carried out in 1951 by the company run by the famous “garden philosopher” and breeder of perennials Karl Foerster. The cemetery is therefore not only a memorial, but also a significant heath and forest park.