Martin Luther had called for Christian schools to be set up in the towns so that everyone could read and understand the Bible themselves. A Protestant Council School was also founded in Herzberg. In 1538, the Wittenberg reformer Philip Melanchthon (1497–1560) wrote a School Ordinance for the Herzberg Council School. Many other German schools used this School Ordinance in the 16th century. Melanchthon’s dedication bore fruit when Johannes Clajus (1535–1592), born in Herzberg, wrote a “German Grammar” book in 1578, which contributed to the formation of a German written language. The Philipp-Melanchthon-Gymnasium secondary school in the neighbourhood of the St. Marienkirche Church continues the tradition of the Herzberg Council School. The brick-built building dating from the 19th century has been adorned with a monument to Philip Melanchthon since 1913. A bronze bust of “Germany’s Schoolmaster” and two commemorative plaques are recessed in the façade.