Tradition and the present day are impressively combined at the village church in Damsdorf. The first church in Damsdorf is believed to have been built by monks from the nearby monastery Lehnin circa 1320. This is suggested by the monastery bricks in the church’s foundation walls. The current baroque-style church was built in 1777, after a fire. The bell is from the time the first church was constructed (1320). When the entire church was refurbished inside and out in 2003, the community decided to take a daring step: It commissioned the artist Peter Schubert to create a modern ceiling fresco with a baroque-style appearance and a three-winged altarpiece. Schubert has painted many interior wall and ceiling frescoes, for example in the orangery of Charlottenburg Palace. The altarpiece’s traditional triptych shape is contrasted by its modern abstract imagery and it helps to create a very special atmosphere in the otherwise rather plain interior.
The church is located on the circular pilgrim route Bernhard’s Trail around the former Cistercian monastery Lehnin. The key is available from Folker Plam, telephone: +49 3382 702431 or +49 176 99299224 or from Roland Andersen, telephone: +49 3382 703399