Southwest of Potsdam – embedded in a lowland – lies the parent monastery of all Cistercian monasteries of the March: Lehnin Monastery The St. Mary monastery church off the monastery that was founded in 1180, can be considered the most significant piece of Cistercian architecture built during the transition from the Romantic to the Gothic period. At the same time, it is one of the oldest brick structures in northern Germany. The entire monastery, surrounded by the monastery wall, is still in good condition. What can be seen in particular are the cathedral, abbot house, granary, gate house and others. Parts of the monastery are utilised as a hospital today. The monastery complex is open to visitors and transforms into a venue for a range of concerts in the summer.
In the fall of 1863, Theodor Fontane also visited the former Lehnin Monastery in the Havelland region, writing down his memories later in several chapters of his book “Ramblings through the March Brandenburg”.