The museum in the "Klosterhof" cultural centre dates back to the collections of the old local history museum, which was founded at the beginning of the century and was initially located in the town hall. The collection was later expanded to include ceramics/pottery and these collections are located in the former paper factory behind the town hall. It was then opened as a works museum for ceramics in 1951. In 1974/75, a further department was added to the permanent exhibition, dedicated to the history of inland waterway transport. Since 1992, the museum has been at its current location in the monastery courtyard. Today, the town museum includes the three exhibitions on the history of the town of Coswig (Anhalt), the history of pottery and the history of the waterways in Anhalt.