The Marktturm (Market Tower) in Luckenwalde amazes visitors again and again. Depending on where you stand, at first it isn’t even possible to see that it is a free-standing tower – many people assume it to be a part of the church. What is the Market Tower, then? Is it a church tower? Was it a part of the town walls? The original Market Tower was of Romance and early Gothic origin, and was only 19 metres high. It was likely built as a toll tower. Around 1285, Luckenwalde came into the possession of the Zinna Monastery, and the distinctive tower was extended with cloister-format tiles. Since 1484 it has been used as the bell tower of the St. Johanniskirche church. On the inside of the tower, a wooden construction rises all the way up to the bell floor, and the bells are attached to it. It was only in 1730 that the tower received its Baroque cap that gives it its distinctive appearance. Unfortunately no documentary evidence has survived from its building or its original intended function.
The Market Tower can be climbed as part of tours, and provides a fantastic view of the town. When the weather is good, it’s even possible to see Berlin’s famous Television Tower. More information and tickets are available at the HeimatMuseum (local history museum), Am Markt 11.