St. Catherine’s Church, a three-aisle late-Gothic church, stands in the centre of the New Town of Brandenburg an der Havel. The construction of the church began in 1395 and was completed by the Master Builder Heinrich Burnsberg around 1401.
The city of Brandenburg an der Havel’s largest church has a very rich interior and features important works of art, including the so-called Schöppenkapelle chapel with its lavish ornamentation. The tower extends to a height of 72.5 metres and the roof ridge to a height of 38 metres. The external wall are adorned with rare lavish decoration, including figurative ornamentation. The medieval wall and ceiling paintings are particularly impressive. When visiting the church, be sure to visit the baptismal font in the North Chapel, a sandstone relief dating back to 1430, a late-Gothic double-winged alter, the pulpit and a number of epitaphs. It truly is a masterpiece of North German Gothic brick architecture.