The so-called Offizze was planned in 1840 as a garrison laundry by Carl Hampel. In the course of the new construction of the Royal Garrison Steam Laundry – today's Washhouse – the building was converted into an Inspector's House in 1882. The yellow bricks bear witness to the early industrial architecture of the Wilhelmine period and are relics of Prussian architecture at the site. In GDR times, the former Inspector's House was part of the premises of VEB Rewatex, an industrial laundry. In 2005 the building was renovated and underwent further conversion. Today, the building houses offices and is a central contact point for visitors here in Schiffbauergasse.