The former fish market was used as a parade ground and place of execution with gallows. Nowadays the „Neue Markt“ is a playgorund for children near the „Ruppiner See“.
There are just a few houses and buildings in Neuruppin that survived the fire of 1787. Some are around the market and one of them is the „Predigerwitwenhaus“, a half-timbered building dating back to 1736. Karl-Friedrich Schinkel lived here for about seven years of his childhood, because his father was a protestant clergyman and died shortly after the town fire.