Herrmann Kunze, a gingerbread maker from Thuringia, ran his first café on Predigerstrasse. Today there is a travel agency. In 1889 he opened the first Café Kunze at Landsberger Tor. In 1907, the property opposite was acquired and Café Kunze opened at its current location. Max Kunze took over the business from father Herrmann in 1920. After the war, a registration office was set up at the end of the 1940s before the café continued. In 1953 the business was rented to Mr. Engelhardt before it was operated as HO "Café am See" in the 1960s. In the vernacular, however, it was still called Café Kunze. In 1986, Hans and Marlis Blass took over the business and continued it as a HO business. After reunification, in 1990, the café was privatized and operated again under the name Café Kunze. In 2000, son Sven Blass took over the company from his parents. The good reputation of the cakes and pastries baked here as well as the tarts has long since gotten around not just in Strausberg. Cakes for weddings and other celebrations are also supplied. In 2003 a coffee terrace with a view of the Straussee ferry was set up.