The half-timbered house is the oldest building in the former colonists’ settlement in the vineyards near Zossen, and houses a museum and the “Alter Krug” meeting centre. The thatched building was built around 1750 and was the home of the royal forester Schandken. The settlement was established in the Zossen vineyards around 1755. The "Alter Krug" Friends’ Association of Zossen e. V. has meticulously documented the individual professions of the first colonists. The exhibition rooms of the low half-timbered house have brought together testaments of the town’s local history.
It is assumed that a public house operated in the house from 1780 onwards. It was a centre of social life with monthly dances, celebrations, entertainment and the selling of drink. In 1890, the last owner – known locally as "Krug-Lehmann" – had to close the public house. In the 1980s, the district authority took over ownership of the listed building and, with the support of the local history association and many volunteers, restored the building to its original condition.