The district of Werbellin was founded in 1748. 18 Protestant families from Zweibrücken in the Palatinate region who had to leave their home on religious grounds settled here. In 1776 the half-timbered church was built but had to be torn down in 1910 as it has fallen into disrepair. The newly built church was designed by Berlin architect Georg Büttner in that is known as the country style. It was consecrated on Epiphany 1914 with a celebratory service. After a few centuries, this church was also so dilapidated due to lightening strikes, storm damage, frost and water that it was to be torn down in the 1970s. However, the parish council decided to renovate and restore the church instead. Twenty years of painstaking renovation work followed, constantly interrupted for financial reasons. The church parish of Werbellin only celebrated the re-consecration of their church on October 20, 1996.
Since September 23, 2001, the church has been open to all travellers every day as a motorway church. Anyone looking for peace and contemplation as they travel will find them here.