This monument was created at the Gildenhall Ceramic Workshop (Neuruppin-Gildenhall) as a half-plastic by Professor Max Esser. It represents a wisent, or European bison, posing with its horns towards the ground in an attack position.
The monument was inaugurated by Nazi politician Hermann Goering in October 1934 as a way of acknowledging the success in breeding the animals in the wildlife reserve. In 1958 the monument was removed from its home and brought to the nearby woodland, but in April 1990 it was exhumed by Eichhorst’s forest authority. Finally, on May 29, 1995 – after being reconstructed – it was included in the district of Barnim’s official directory of monuments.