Today, parts of the site can still be visited. A visit to the impressive cart lift is particularly worthwhile. It was designed by Borsig in Berlin in 1906 and built here in Eberswalde in 1908. Goods carts could be transported to the long-distance train tracks seven metres above: From top to bottom it took about five minutes and about fifteen minutes in the opposite direction. Horses were the most important form of transport well into the 20th century. Their hooves are still protected against wear by iron horseshoes. Each horseshoe nail used for this were always made by hand – until tow inventive engineers, Julius Moeller and Clemens Schreiber, succeeded in building a machine that could produce forged nails in 1869. Eberswalde horseshoe nails quickly replaced their predecessors. After just a few years, the Moeller & Schreiber company was covering most of the demand in Germany and exporting a large range in different shapes and sizes worldwide, for example to Russia, England and South America. In 1897, 850 employees and 400 machines produced 30,000 kilograms of horseshoe nails per day, which were transported by ship on the Finow Canal or by train on the railways. From 1908, a cart lift built by Borsig in Berlin made transport handling easier: With its electro hydraulic hoist, loaded goods carts weighing up to 25 tons could be lifted from the works to the long-distance railway line six metres above. In 1926, the company’s success story drew to a close and the factory was shut down. After the Second World War, horseshoe nails and wire nails were once again produced here, after the building was partially rebuilt, up until the 1980s.