This former Cistercian monastery was built in 1273. It is one of the most significant architectural monuments of the early brick Gothic period, and serves as a model for the development of the preservation of monuments in Germany. The Gothic design vocabulary and the delicate ornamentation of grand cathedrals like in Cologne, Paris and Siena were first translated into brick in Brandenburg, at Chorin Monastery. When Brandenburg’s princes converted to Protestantism the monastery was dissolved in 1542 and turned first into a crown land and later re-purposed as a regional office. Karl Friedrich Schinkel, who contributed significantly to the maintenance of the architectural ensemble, described buildings like the Chorin Monastery as ‘the country’s most beautiful ornaments’.
The tourist information centre is also housed in the entrance area of the monastery, and is available to answer guests’ queries.
- Advice on sights and activities in the local region
- Sale of hiking and cycling maps
- Sale of postcards and publications about the region
- Sale of regional artwork
- Free charging for smartphones and tablets