After a major town fire in 1752, the population rebuilt the market square and the brick church in a new location. The predecessor building was a half-timbered church that had only been built a year before. The locations for this church and the wooden church first mentioned in documents in 1346 were slightly to the north of the present market square. Construction of the present church in the Classical style was financed by Augustus William of Prussia, the younger brother of Frederick II. The church is an impressively high hall building. The interior is more contemporary – the organ, for example, was built by Sauer in 1977. Only the bell dates from the 14th century and bears the inscription “O Rex Gloriae veni cum Pace“.