The moated castle in Roßlau dates back to the 12th century and was built on the remains of a Slavic castle. It came into the possession of the Princes of Anhalt in 1348 and continued to be extended until the 16th century. Prince Johann August of Anhalt built a hunting lodge not far from the castle, which was connected to the castle by a bridge. When the ruling lines of Anhalt-Zerbst and Anhalt-Köthen came to an end, the castle and the palace changed hands. The castle was used as the ducal district forest warden’s office from the middle of the 19th century. The castle was completely destroyed by a fire in 1870. It was only in the 1920s that the castle was restored and split into apartments.
The Friend’s Association of Burg Roßlau e.V. looks after the maintenance of the listed castle grounds and regularly organises events. Every year, the castle hosts an Easter market, country festival, summer theatre, the Ska Festival and the Advent market, with ever-increasing numbers of visitors. The association also deals with requests for the private use of the facility for private parties and celebrations.