A Jewish community was founded in Luckenwalde in 1869. The synagogue in Puschkinstrasse (then Carlstrasse) was consecrated on 4 October 1897. Up until then, services were held in rented rooms and private homes. The synagogue was designed and built by the government building director Gerstenberg from Berlin. The completed house of worship served as a home for the synagogue community for many years.
During the November pogrom on 10 November 1938, the synagogue was desecrated and its interior completely devastated. The holy scriptures were desecrated and disappeared along with the community’s archives. In front of the former synagogue of the Jewish community at Puschkinstrasse 38 there is a memorial plaque commemorating all Holocaust victims who once belonged to the local Jewish community.