The tower windmill in its present form was built in 1906 after the Großkopf family of millers had to give up the location for their post mill on Schützenplatz in Niemegk owing to increased development. The post mill was sold off to the town of Grabow, and a new mill of gigantic proportions was built outside of Niemegk. Back in the 1930s a diesel engine powered the mill as a reserve drive when there wasn't sufficient wind. The main shaft was destroyed in the Second World War and the mill was put out of operation. Owing to a lack of material, only a meagre makeshift repair could be carried out.
At the start of the 1950s the mill was radically modernised and kitted out with an electric motor. The technology fitted then has been completely maintained to this day. Flour was produced in Niemegk until the 1970s. After that, the tower windmill produced animal feed for nearby farms as its secondary business until the 1990s. Since 1998 the windmill has been a protected monument and is run today by the association Großkopfs Turmwindmühle Niemegk e.V. The association aims to preserve the mill as a technological monument for prosperity.