The estate was established in 1736 for Carl Friedrich Brand von Lindau. It consists of a manor house with an annex and guest houses, Schmerwitz estate church, the working farm with the administrator's house, barns and stables.
The castle complex has been witness to an eventful history – its present appearance is due to its frequently changing owners and uses. After 1945, the castle and Gut Schmerwitz estate were expropriated and used as a Party School. Between then and 1989 several new buildings were added in its role as a “Brigade Group School”, which still today alienate the overall appearance of the estate. While the castle falls into disrepair and a guest house is set up in the former Brigade Group School, the working farm and its associated buildings are gradually renovated by Gut Schmerwitz estate. The Gut Schmerwitz farm shop and the pottery café and pottery shop are also housed here.