The Luther House, built in 1504 as an Augustinian monastery, was known as the ‘Black Monastery’ owing to the colour of the Augustinian monks’ robes. Martin Luther lived here as a monk from 1508, and in 1532 he then acquired it as a residence with his wife, Katharina von Bora.
Today, Luther’s former residence is the world’s largest museum of Reformation history. A permanent exhibition recounts Martin Luther’s life and work, as well as the global upheaval at play around the time of the Reformation. The amazing exhibits include Luther’s habit, a tablet of the Ten Commandments by Lucas Cranach, Luther’s bible, plus manuscripts and medals. The Luther Room, preserved in its original condition, recalls the reformer’s table talks.