Visible from afar, Leitzkau Castle near Gommern forms a prominent point in the western Fläming region. The foundation stone is a monastery founded in the 12th century by the Premonstratensian Canons Regular. The impressive Romanesque basilica has been preserved from this time. After the Reformation, the monastery was rebuilt in the 16th century into a castle in the Weser Renaissance style. Today Leitzkau is considered the most important castle building of this epoch in the area of the middle Elbe. In 1564, Hilmar von Münchhausen, a Lower Saxon nobleman, acquired the complex, which he rebuilt together with his son Statius. The castle served as the residence of the von Münchhausen family until 1945, then as emergency accommodation for displaced persons and as a school until 1996.
Today, Leitzkau Castle is the seat of the Saxony-Anhalt Cultural Foundation. The castle courtyard and the former basilica are accessible during business hours. In Hobeck Castle there is a small exhibition on the history of the complex, which can be visited with a guided tour by the Förderkreis Schloss Leitzkau. Worthwhile excursion dates are also the pottery market in September and the Advent market on the 1st of Advent. Guided tours can be booked through the Förderkreis Schloss Leitzkau at 039241-4168.