The foundation stone was laid in 1951 as the old church had been made inaccessible by the bombing of the Neißebrücke bridge in the Second World War. Special feature are the so-called “Talking walls” at the front of the gallery.
The church’s three bells also symbolise a slice of history. Alongside a precious old bell from Hamburg’s “bell cemetery”, whose origin is unknown to this day, the belfry also houses two cast-iron bells from the day the church was consecrated. These bells were produced by the company Schilling & Lattermann from the town of Apolda.