The village church in Groß Bademeusel is a plastered fieldstone building with a striking black slate tower roof. At first glance, the interior is rather minimalist – when you take a second look, however, this is a church that sits at the very heart of the village and also reflects its history. The original building was built in the 14th century. The walls of the original church from this time are still preserved. In 1800, some windows were enlarged and in the 20th century renovation work was undertaken on the floor and interior ceiling.
The altarpiece dates back to the 18th century with a depiction of the Last Supper still visible in the lower part. However, the painting in the upper part was only created in the 1950s by the Rochlitz-based painter Peter Opitz – a difficult time for the then inhabitants, many of whom wished to move away. The picture in the background does not depict the Biblical land but rather the view over the River Neiße. The two medieval figures can also be seen on the pillars of the gallery: Moses with the Tables of the Commandments and John the Baptist, the most important prophets of the Old and New Testament.