The first documentary mention of the church was in 1495, but it was built over 200 years previously: The chest with iron fittings on the alter dates back to 1282.
During the Thirty Years’ War, it was destroyed for the first time and required emergency repairs. The church was rebuilt on its old foundations between 1719 and 1721. It was destroyed a second time during the Second World War. In 1953, the nave was re-roofed and the spire and the seating were renewed. Between 1892 and 1989, the dilapidated church was restored by the local community. The church is a plastered, solid hexagonal building comprising a mix of different masonry (brick, fieldstone, natural stone). The roof is covered with double roof tiles. The altar was taken from the church in Weißagk in 1985. Built in 1843, the rectory now houses an apartment and communal rooms.