Spremberg Castle was originally a 13th century moated and marsh castle. Remains of a square and a round tower from this period are still preserved today. The two-storey north wing was built in the 16th century. In the following century, the building was extended and became the summer residence of Duke Henry of Saxony-Merseburg. He erected two stately three-storey wings in the east and west, which are connected by a wooden gallery on the courtyard side. The tower was provided with a tent roof. The entire complex is surrounded by a park with a diverse tree population.
The castle houses the Niederlausitzer Heidemuseum. The museum’s exhibitions examine the heath landscape in south-east Brandenburg. The regional highlights each year are the Easter market and the Christmas exhibition. Spremberg-born writer Erwin Strittmatter (1912-1994) is honoured in a permanent exhibition about his life and work. Other exhibitions are dedicated to the natural history, folklore and art of Lower Lusatia. In addition, there is an original Wendish farm in the park which is now an open-air museum.