In 1908 Clara Hoffbauer decided to build a church to complete her foundation work. By that time, Hermannswerder – the site of the Hoffbauer Foundation – already had an administration building, a modern hospital, six orphanages, a school building with a gymnasium and many more facilities. In establishing the foundation, Clara Hoffbauer was pursuing an important goal: first and foremost, she sought to establish a high-quality, Christian educational institution for young women. By building the Inselkirche (“Island Church”), she sought to convey clearly that she regarded her own strength as a God-given gift that she could use to help others and give them strength. She did not live long enough to witness the consecration of the church. In 2011, the Hoffbauer Foundation celebrated the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Inselkirche. Built in the typical neo-Gothic brick style of the time, the church has survived destruction and a tumultuous history. But the fact that the richly ornamented church interior is now resplendent once again is due to an event that occurred in times of peace. In 1992, a smouldering fire blackened the interior, making renovation necessary. In 2012 the Schuke organ was completely overhauled and now sounds even more beautiful than before. Next to the water tower, the church tower dominates the silhouette of the island, clearly signalling that Hermannswerder is a place of Christian life, learning and work.