The house was built between 1913 and 1917 in the style of an English country house. Kaiser Wilhelm II had it built for his first-born son, Crown Prince Wilhelm, and his wife Cecilie.
After the collapse of the monarchy, Wilhelm was allowed to return to Potsdam in 1923 and was granted the right of residence for life in the palace, which had meanwhile been expropriated by the state. At the end of the Second World War, the former Crown Prince and his family fled from the approaching Red Army.
Today the palace houses a historical memorial, where the conference rooms and workrooms of the participants of the Potsdam Conference can be visited. The palace can be visited during opening hours as part of a guided tour or with an audio guide.