The horse stables were built for the Guard Hussars based on designs by Karl Friedrich Schinkel from 1822 onwards. The “H-shaped” riding stables were located on the former garrison wood yard. They enclosed two riding arenas on the Havel side, which were accessible from the street by a fence. Onlookers often gathered here to watch the Guard Hussars drill, also known as the “riding theater” in the vernacular. The Schinkelhalle from 1823 and the Reithalle III (today's "Arena") from 1886, also popularly known as the “Russenhalle”, were incorporated in this ensemble around the Schirrhof, so that an all-weather riding facility was created. A radio and logistics battalion of the Soviet secret service KGB used the former horse stables as garages and workshops for their vehicles. In the mid-1970s, the entire South-Western wing of the building and thus the boundaries of the riding arenas to the city and the Havel, were dismantled in the course of the construction work for the Humboldt Bridge. The fence of the riding theater” now fences a schoolyard in the Lindenstrasse. The current cultural and commercial site in the horse stables around the Schirrhof was restored from 2005 to 2008. Today, the former stables are used as offices, museums, clubs, theaters, restaurants and popular event locations, including the T-Werk.