The part of Perleberg’s Town Hall, which faces the market, was a kind of medieval department store, in which travelling merchants could pitch their wares. The town hall only acquired its present appearance in 1839/40 based on plans by Friedrich August Stüler. His idea was to rebuild the town hall in a neo-Gothic style and adorn it with a slender town hall tower. Across the street, the watchful eye of Perleberg’s Roland statue gazes across the square. The sandstone statue of the German champion has stood in this position since 1546. However, he was certainly not the first Roland statue to express the civic pride of Perleberg and herald the status of Perleberg as the capital of the Prignitz region.
Großer Markt 12, just a few steps away from the Roland statue, is the location of Perleberg’s town information centre. It provides detailed literature about the town and the Prignitz region, event information, help in finding accommodation and lots of hints and ideas about visits to Perleberg.