The village of Kagar was first mentioned in 1536, but the less fertile stretch of land was not so attractive to German settlers. After the very small settlement was destroyed during the Thirty Years’ War, a group of Huguenot families came here from France as religious refugees in 1686. The 20 families formed the French Reformed Parish in Kagar. In the 18th century, there were three pastors in the village: French Reformed, German Reformed and Lutheran Protestant. Their little half-timbered church was built in 1763 but had to be torn down in 1908. The current church in the Gothic Revival style stands in its place, with impressive interior furnishings including Art Nouveau elements.
The wooden ceiling is barrel-vaulted and ornamentally painted at the edges. An elaborately painted patronage box with a separate entrance was even built for Empress Augusta Victoria (1858-1921) but she never used it. She supported the building of the new church financially. The wooden chandelier and Neo-Baroque organ front with folding doors are particularly eye-catching.