The granite building with the attached brick chancel is an impressive historic monument. The Romanesque church is part of the Lietzen commandry. The medieval premises of the knight’s order were built by members of the Order of the Temple in the mid-thirteenth century. After the order had been disbanded, the facility with the church was passed into the ownership of the Knights of St John in 1318. In the context of its secularisation in 1811, the Prussian king gifted the premises to the von Hardenberg family, who once again owns it today.
The church’s medieval origins are also visible in its interior, in the form of the stellar vaults that were added in the 15th century. The church hall is otherwise characterised by impressive baroque elements, such as the richly ornamented 18th century pulpit altar. There is also a baptism angel from the workshop of the woodcarver Hattenkerell. Next to the church, there is a large medieval granite storehouse that is also part of the facility.