In 1788-1790, the famous master builder Carl Gotthard Langhans was commissioned by King Frederick William II to build a particularly magnificent bathing and lodging house for illustrious visitors to the health spa. In those days, it was called the “Fürstenhaus” (Princes’ House); it only became the “Landhaus” (Country House) later on. Over the course of its history, the country house was put to very different uses.
A painstaking renovation of the building started in 1993. Since 2002, the house has been used as a therapy centre for outpatient spa treatments, care on prescription and programmes for self-paying patients (e.g. Bad Freienwalder Moorzauber). The primary remedy is the local natural peat, which is administered in peat mud baths and packs, and through peat mud treading and kneading.