The Catholic provost and parish church of St. Maria Friedenskönigin was built in 1934/35 as a clearly structured clinker brick building. Cottbus wood sculptor Felix Hertelt created the church’s statues of saints in the style of the time and also designed the life-size statue of the Virgin Mary for the high altar. The front of the pair of towers depicting the resurrected Christ has been adorned since the 1950s with a large concrete sculpture by Weißenfels artist Brückner-Fullroth.
The church interior was completely refurbished from 1976 to 1982 – a project that involved years of free-time efforts. Dresden architect Wolfram Starke and sculptor Friedrich Preß were responsible for the artistic decoration of the interior. The transversal room for church services is surrounded by a large symbolic crown of thorns which is breached by a white wooden cross opposite the altar. An early Baroque figure of the Virgin Mary from Erfurt Cathedral was placed in the sanctuary. The original stained glass windows are preserved in the pietà and the side aisles. On the upper floor, a chapel of St. Mary was installed in which the Madonna is installed as the “Queen of Peace” (Friedenskönigin).