One of the oldest sacred buildings in Lower Lusatia, the church of St. Pankratius is located in the old cemetery of the village of Steinkirchen, which was incorporated in the municipality in 1939. Bearing the name of the martyr St. Pancras, who died in the year 304, the church is an early example of the use of field and brick stones which were otherwise rarely used for building at that time.
The church has a single nave and is divided into three sections. The western part of the wooden-clad bell tower, probably built around 1680, is adjoined to the central brick section. The former chancel of the church was located in the eastern part, which was built of field stones. The old restored brass chandeliers are from the Wendish church which was built in 1572.
The grave of the poet Ernst von Houwald is located close to the church of St. Pankratius.