A lowland of Spree River on the edge of Lübben was once home to the most important Slavic hill fort on the northern passage of Spreewald Forest. The structure was in use until the 13th century. Historians believe that it was the home of the Burgraves of Lübben in later years, until the castle was built.
The ‘Burglehn’ is considered Lübben’s most beautiful architectural monument and it has been an inn since 1897, inviting guests to linger among its history-laden walls. As early as 1880, the esteemed doctor and prehistorian Rudolf Virchow recommended a visit to Spreewald Forest’s biggest and best preserved circular rampart.