This is a living monument: Trees gradually protrude from behind a closed courtyard where a synagogue once stood: A building with three cupolas and a Moorish-style blue-and-white tiled facade. The synagogue was the place of worship for a community of around 320 people, but sadly the building’s former glory and cultural diversity can now only be admired in postcard reproductions. The synagogue – built in 1891 – and the Jewish community are gone. The building fell victim to an arson attack during the 1938 November Pogroms, and the members of its community were murdered, expelled or deported. At least 46 Jewish people from Eberswalde died, and 700 years of Jewish history came to an abrupt end, leaving a hole that could never be closed.
Since 2013, this place has been dedicated to memory and to a new beginning. A memorial was constructed based on a design by Horst Hoheisel and Andreas Knitz, described by James Young (foreman of the jury for the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, and head of the Institute of Holocaust and Genocide Research in the USA) as the ‘greatest of all memorial sites for a synagogue in Europe’. This memorial site, promising a new start, was created following a long planning phase and intensive participation by citizens.