The ensemble in the Dessau city area, consisting of the castle, the Georgengarten, the Beckerbruch forest and marsh area, and the Elbe meadows, is the second largest landscape park in the Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Kingdom. Along with the Wörlitz grounds, the extensive landscape garden is also the most important landscape park in the Garden Kingdom in terms of art history. The park is named after its builder, Prince Johann Georg (1748-1811), who had an early classicist country house, the so-called Georgium Palace, built in a floodplain forest north of the then city of Dessau from 1780 onwards. In addition to the country house, a flower garden house, the orangery building and the guest house were built. The Beckerbruch was left natural, but embellished with small architecture and monuments, for example the artificial ruin "Wallwitzburg".
The Georgium Palace houses the Dessau Anhalt Picture Gallery with a rich collection of old German, German and Dutch paintings. The reopening after renovation is planned for 2021. Until the reopening, parts of the collection can be seen in the Dessau Museum of City History. Special exhibitions are held regularly in the Orangery as well as in the Fremdenhaus. The landscape park can be explored not only on your own, but also under expert guidance as part of a guided tour.