The church of St Laurentius is a Gothic brick building that the local residents of Havelberg usually refer to as the town church. It is located on Havelberg’s town island and in direct vicinity of the market square and the town hall. It is a striking structure and the oldest building on the town island. Together with the Cathedral of St Mary, it dominates the townscape of Havelberg. Regular religious services and concerts are held at the church.
There are no records that verify the exact age of the church. It is assumed that construction was taken up around 1300. The first written record of the church dates back to 1340 and is related to a donation of side altars.