The narrow garden along the lake shore dates back to the original English-style property built in 1800, which belonged to the newly built manor house of Peter von Itzenplitz (1769-1834). The plane trees, which are now about 300 years old, stood on the lake shore back then.
Albert Borsig (1829-1878) planted two Asian plane trees in Behnitz Park, donated to his father by Alexander von Humboldt. However, while he mainly had the manor house, the town and the estate renovated and expanded from 1866 onwards, his son Ernst von Borsig (1869-1933) concentrated on the beautification of the surrounding park. As a member of the German Dendrological Society, he was interested in integrating rare plants into the garden. The park extends to around 35 hectares and encloses a large part of Lake Groß Behnitzer See. Its structures are largely in line with 19th century design. The land has had monument protection since 1966 and has been developed as a walking path with a focus on dendrological natural history. Parts of the historic tree and plant stock, including swamp cypresses, elms and plane trees, have been preserved. From the opposite shore of the lake there is an impressive view of the preserved and restored parts of the estate.