The 28.5 metre high Steintorturm in Neustadt near the town lock with its cone-shaped roof and battlements is the biggest and most magnificent of Brandenburg’s gate towers. It was part of the town’s medieval defences. It is eleven metres in diameter and the lower wall thickness is three and a half metres, emphasising the defensive nature of the tower. The tower was built in the mid-15th century. The Steintorturm was first mentioned in 1433. The name refers to the archaeologically proven 13th century tower building system using boulders.
The outer shell, decorated all the way around in a corkscrew pattern of sinter tiles, has two circular apertures and two crest-shaped apertures on both the outward-facing side and the town side. The richly decorated battlements and cone-shaped stone roof with its iron eagle are original. Inside, there is a barrel vaulted dungeon, which is now open as the entrance to four further vaulted floors. These are accessed via a stairway set into the wall. Embrasures, further up gun slits and arrow slits, are characteristic of the Late Middle Ages principle of “vertical defence”.