The imposing church in neo-Gothic style molds the character of the neighbourhoud at Potsdam West. The red tower is visible from afar. The architects Gotthilf Ludwig Möckel, Arthur Kickton and Ferdinand Krüger planned the building that was constructed from 1896 to 1898.
The church together with Dr.-Rudolf-Tschäpe-Platz, the area around the church with a purple beech, are listed monuments. The low but wide ceiling of the church provides good acoustics. Since 1997, Ud Joffe, an Israeli conductor, leads the Potsdam chantry and music programmes at Erlöserkirche.