The school building on Kopernikusstrasse was inaugurated in 1911 as a Realgymnasium. 100 years ago, students were offered an excellent education here, also at the secondary school for boys on today's Stephensonstrasse. The natural science facilities were state-of-the-art. The school complex included a gymnasium, a school garden, a tennis court and the toilet building. The effects of war and neglect after the Second World War resulted in loss of part of the historical building fabric. In 1998 the school building was extensively renovated and lost elements were reconstructed, while the outside facilities were also refurbished according to the original design. Today the Bertha-von-Suttner-Gymnasium is particularly geared towards promoting linguistic, scientific and artistic interests.