The building was originally constructed in 1907 and served as an upper-level educational institution for boys. At the time it was one of the most modern and beautiful buildings in Nowawes – but soon it no longer met the demands of an upper secondary school. More than 100 years ago, this school provided an excellent education for students. The school complex included a gymnasium, a school garden, a tennis court and the toilet building. The effects of war and neglect after the Second World War resulted in loss of part of the historical building fabric. In 1998 the school building was renovated and lost elements of architecture were reconstructed. The outside facilities were also refurbished according to the original design. Today the buildings house the Goethe-Grundschule (primary school) and the Bertha-von-Suttner-Gymnasium (upper secondary school), which was founded in 2012.