The coke separator in Schiffbauergasse was built in 1953/55 according to plans by Karl Gottfried Pust. Its shape and design reflects the industrial architecture of the 1930s. In the production of raw gas from coal, coke is a waste product that has to be crushed and separated to enable it to be used as fuel. This process took place in the 35-metre high brick-clad steel structure. Together with the machine hall and the gasometer, the coke separator is one of the last structural relics of the gas plant that was closed in 1990, having previously become the VEB Energiekombinat. The company was founded in 1856 as Freundsche Gasanlage and ensured continuous production of gas, coke and tar for the city of Potsdam. In 2001, the dismantling of the gas plant and the pollutant clean-up process began. In 2002/03 the coke separation plant was gutted, renovated and put to its new use as an office building for services. Today the building houses the headquarters of Oracle.