The machine hall was built on the Papenhorn after 1945. The building planned by Karl Gottfried Pust still has an appealing, contemporary-looking, finely structured neoclassical facade. The Papenhorn is a natural headland that was heaped up by rubble from downtown Potsdam to reclaim land from Türkstraße to Papenhorn. The building housed the metalworking shop of the gas works of the Berlin entrepreneur Julius Conrad Freund, which started operating in 1856. Gas valves and pipe sockets were produced here, among other things. After the later conversion into “VEB Energiekombinat”, gas, coke and tar were produced for the city of Potsdam at this industrial site until the end of operations in 1990. Since the renovation in 2006, the former machine hall is used by the fabrik Potsdam as dance and community centre.