The Stadtkirche St. Nikolai Church is a Gothic hall church, which houses the carved altar from the pilgrimage church in Alt Krüssow. Like the Old Town Hall, the previous tower of the church was consumed by the fire of 1821. While the restoration of the church progressed rapidly, it took until 1882 for a tower to be raised.
The church itself dates back to 1230. It had to be extended in 1278, after Pritzwalk had been awarded town status a few years earlier. It was continuously extended for almost 200 years until, in 1451, it reached the proportions that continue to be impressive today. The outer walls clearly show how an original fieldstone church was completed by a brick construction. Blazes over the years have forced repairs to be carried out on the church time and time again. A loan from the Alt Krüssow Church in 1976 is the late-Gothic winged altar dating back to 1250.