The Catholic parish church Sacred Heart of Jesus in Oranienburg has a capacity of about 800. It is a brick building constructed with facings in strict Romanesque style and covered with slate roofing.
Before the interior reconstruction and redesign in 1960, the inside of the church was richly decorated with ceiling and wall paintings according to the designs of church painter Gottfried Schiller from Stuttgart, which were applied by a painter called Devantier. On the front wall of the church today there is a memorial to the victims of the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, which was erected in 1984 at the instigation of Pope John Paul II after a pilgrimage undertaken by East German citizens to Rome. On April 29, 1894, Pastor Panske performed the ceremonial laying of the foundation stone of the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus with the participation of the Oranienburg Catholics and many Catholic associations of Berlin as well as representatives of the city authorities. The church took 1 1/2 years to build and was consecrated on September 15, 1895 by the prince-bishop’s delegate, Prelate Dr. Jahnel, assisted by several clergymen.