The monument commemorated the passing of the beloved Queen Luise, who died at the age of 34 (1776–1810). As the journey from Hohenzieritz in Mecklenburg, where she died, to Berlin could not be completed in one day, the funeral procession stopped off in Gransee. On the night of July 25 to 26, 1810, the coffin lay in state in the market now known as Schinkelplatz. The citizens of the town of Gransee wanted to erect a monument to their queen there and collected donations to do so. Karl Friedrich Schinkel provided the design, which was implemented by the royal foundry in Berlin. The monument was inaugurated one year after her death.
Is depicts a sarcophagus with a crown on a plinth, as though the queen were buried here, which is protected from the wind and weather by a filigree canopy. Her final resting place was the mausoleum in the palace park at Charlottenburg in Berlin.