The church was built between 1232 and 1250 as a three-aisle pillar basilica in the style of the transition between the Romanesque and the Gothic period. Construction of a town wall was taken up in 1252. A Dominican monastery was established in the same year. In 1448, the interior was painted in a late-Gothic style, this paintwork was covered with plaster in the late 18th century. When the church was comprehensively refurbished in 1919, the paintwork was made visible again and it was restored by Hans Burger between 1991 and 1995.
The rosewood main altar was created in 1520 and it features a depiction of the coronation of Mary. A two-storey gallery with ornamental carvings was built in the context of the Reformation. The baptismal font made of marble was gifted by the von Prawitz widow in 1848. The organ was built by the Sauer company from Frankfurt (Oder) in 1929.